Even for Christians, it is easy to focus on ourselves, feel self-pity, and think about how bad things are. It is good to remember that there are surely others who have worse circumstances than we do. Let us focus on ways we can help others and remember how blessed we are. If we start feeling sad in our own little world, we would feel so much better if we would:
- Think about others around the world who are struggling with various problems.
- Help someone else with some physical need.
- Help someone else by encouraging them (card, call, visit, online message, etc.).
- Tell someone that you love and appreciate them.
- Help others by praying for them.
- Take good care of the physical body God gave you.
- Read God’s Word and let Him speak to you through His Holy Scriptures.
- Attend the assemblies of a sound congregation and worship God with your brothers and sisters.
- Repent and be reconciled to God if necessary.
- Pray and leave all cares with God. Do what is within your power the best you can and stop worrying about things you cannot control.
- Think about what awaits faithful Christians after this brief life is over.
- Try not to complain, but rather meditate on all the blessings God has given and thank Him in prayer through Jesus.
Some inspired passages to consider: Job; Psalm 18:46; 23:1-6; 46:1; 61:1-3; 62:1-8; Matthew 6:25-34; 22:36-40; 25:34-40; Luke 10:25-37; 18:1; Romans 1:8; 1 Corinthians 10:10-13; 2 Corinthians 1:3, 4; 4:16-18; Galatians 6:1, 2; Ephesians 4:28-32; 5:20; Philippians 2:3-8, 14; 4:4-13; 1 Thessalonians 5:18; 2 Timothy 2:15; Hebrews 10:23-25; James 1:2-4; 4:14; 5:7-11, 13, 16; 1 Peter 5:7.