· It belongs to CHRIST (Matthew 16:18).
· It was built by CHRIST (Matthew 16:18).
· It is the kingdom of CHRIST (Matthew 16:18, 19, 28).
· Its foundation is CHRIST (1 Corinthians 3:11).
· Its only head is CHRIST (Colossians 1:18).
· It is the body of CHRIST (Ephesians 1:22-23).
· It is the flock of CHRIST (Acts 20:28).
· It was bought by CHRIST (Acts 20:28).
· Its Saviour is CHRIST (Ephesians 5:23).
· It is the bride of CHRIST (Ephesians 5:22-32).
· It is sanctified by CHRIST (Ephesians 5:26).
· It is cleansed by CHRIST (Ephesians 5:26).
· It is the house of CHRIST (Hebrews 3:6).
· It glorifies God through CHRIST (1 Peter 4:11).
· It teaches the doctrine of CHRIST (2 John 9).
· Its members wear the name of CHRIST (Acts 11:26; 26:28; 1 Corinthians 1:10-13; 1 Peter 4:16).
In light of all of this, it should be clear why we call it the church of Christ, with individual congregations also being called “the churches of Christ” by the Holy Spirit in Romans 16:16. Yes, there are other Biblical descriptions, such as “the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood” (Acts 20:28), but which member of the Godhead is under consideration who shed His own blood? Christ is. Wearing the name of Christ as individuals or as a group glorifies God through Christ (1 Peter 4:11; cf. Ephesians 3:21).
The idea for this article came from an article by Royce Frederick